Exposition of prehistoric population | Town history exposition | Ethnographic exposition | Art history exposition
Reflexions of Nová Baňa | The burgess indoors | Naive-style wood carving | Historic clocks | Putikov vršok volcano

TOWN HISTORY EXPOSITION

This shows the town foundation and beginnings, with the history of its administration, mining, craftsmanship and glass making. The historic development of the ancient royal mining town of Nová Baňa reflects the beginning of noble metal mining, its gradual increase and reforms.
Before 1337, when the first written mention on the settlement of Seunich (later Nová Baňa) was made, the miners from Pukanec found gold lodes here. Due to the increase of the number of ore crushers, it is likely these lodes were very profitable. This helped to reform the original settlement into a conurbation.

História mesta    História mesta

In 1345, the town became a free royal and mining town, gradually obtaining the following privileges: to organize markets, right of the sword and mileage right. As far as its administrative concerns, the first self-government deeds come from as early as 1345, 1346 and 1347. The urban council members are documented in the mandate of Luis I. dated on September 8th, 1345. The Mining Deed, which shows the town territory limits, comes from 1355. The first deed with an attached seal, issued by the town, comes from 1348.
The greatest mining boom and the development of the medieval town happened in the 2nd half of 14th century, when Nová Baňa became one of the seven mining towns of the Upper Hungary. However, after this short period of prosperity, the town, engaged both into the internal turmoils of Hungary and anti-Turkish wars, suffered more fateful events; Turks destroyed it in 1664, followed by the uprisings of the noblemen and the Black Death epidemic, that depopulated the town during 17th century.

The troubles with the rising underground water level affected negatively also the further development of mining. The overflowed mines had to be saved by the mean of atmospherical fire engine, built by the English designer Isaac Potter in 1722. This was the first steam engine ever installed in continental Europe. A gold mining incorporation was established here in 1723. The miners balanced between success and failures, keeping the mining till 1887, when the local mines were closed due to their unprofitability.
Mining engines, different types of lamps and, first of all, the fully operable mobile models of mining equipment, attracts the attention within this exposition.

História mesta

Within the miners' folklore, the “Mining Youth Statute” dated in 1676 is a very interesting exhibit. The youth from Nová Baňa should behave according to this statute during the traditional carnivals. There are also another items used during the carnivals, e.g. the symbolic hammer and iron made from wood and coming from 18th century.

História mesta   História mesta   História mestaHistória mesta História mestaHistória mesta

The next part of this exposition is dedicated to such samples of miners' art as the wooden plasticisms of figures in the traditional clothes. The mine models in the bottles, or so-called patience bottles, are very attractive. The artists created scenes in several levels showing the mining labor.
As early as from 14th century, Nová Baňa was known due to the millstones fabrication and skilled craftsmen (excellent potters, shoemakers, smiths, tailors, stove builders and furmakers). The authentic guild convocation tablets, ornamented guild coffins, original documents, tools and products of skilled craftsmen prove the rich industrial tradition of the town and illustrate the town life in the past.
One of the oldest glass factories in thence Hungarian kingdom was founded in the close settlement of Stará Huta in 1630. The modern industry started to develop only as late as in 1907, when the glass factory was built in Nová Baňa. The glass making range is represented by the most typical glasses, bottles, jars and cut crystal items.

História mesta